What are the requirements to study in china

News And Updates
Student Stories
  • Students up for a second LEGO2NANO hackathon Students and researchers from UCL’s Engineering and MAPS Faculties, Institute of Making and London Centre for Nanotechnology
  • Advice for Waitlisted Students Over the next couple of months, high school graduates will be receiving lots of college admissions decisions from their home country. Some good news, some bad news, It’s hard to know what to make of a better decision. 
University News
Campus Life
What are the requirements to study in china

International students from all over the world who wish to study in China need to meet certain requirements by both the Chinese government and the Respective university.

1.       Applicants must be real students and should have supporting documents to prove that they have been admitted into a university.

2.       Students must possess a student visa that must be verified within 30 days so that they may recieve a residence permit.

3.       Students should not have a criminal record. Students from selected countries need to provide a non-criminal certificate notarized and certified by the Chinese embassy.

4.       The student should possess all the qualifications and meet all the academic and financial requirements set out by the university of choice.

5.       If one is a transfer student he/she will need to provide a transfer certificate between the two schools.


Different courses require different quaifications. One should be mindful of the type of course he/she will be studying in China and make sure that their qualifications meet the minimum requirement.

·         Chinese-medium degree courses (i.e. degree courses taught in Mandarin Chinese) require the applicant to provide HSK examination results to prove their Chinese language proficiency. Applicants for master's degrees also need to provide a copy of transcripts and recommendation letters.

·         English-medium courses do not require HSK exam results. Instead, applicants for English-medium courses should provide recognized English proficiency tests such as TOEFL or IELTS. (English native speakers or those who hold an academic degree taught in English need not provide test scores).

·         Usually, non-degree language and culture programs have minimum requirements; as long as you have obtained a high school diploma, you can apply for admission.


In orer to enter the country you must already have sorted out a visa. The time taken to process a visa usually takes 4-7 working days. The requirements for a visa is as follows:

1.       Applicant's original passport valid up to at least six months with at least one blank page.

2.       One accurately and truthfully completed Application Form.

3.       Please affix one recent passport style color photo with full face, front view, no hat, and against a plain light background on the application form.

4.       Original and a copy of approved Foreign Student Visa Application Form JW201 or JW202 (for X1 appliction only).

5.       Original and a copy of Admission Notice from the university or Chinese school. Note: for foreigners who want to apply for Chinese Medical Internship, the original and a copy of Application Form for Medical Internship and Admission Notice for training in practice issued by the university are required.

share_phone_icon share_facebook_icon share_twitter_icon share_youtube_icon share_pinterest_icon share_linkedin_icon share_instagram_icon email_icon top_icon